更新时间:2014-2-14 21:42:47 来源: 纽约时报中英文网 作者:佚名
In Prison Release, Signs of Karzai’s Rift With U.S.
BAGRAM, Afghanistan — On Thursday at 9:10 a.m., the gates of the Bagram Prison swung open, and 65 men with long beards and new clothes walked out to freedom. The moment showed clearly just how thoroughly President Hamid Karzai had broken with the American military, here now 12 years.
阿富汗巴格拉姆——周四上午9点10分，巴格拉姆监狱(Bagram Prison)大门开启，65名蓄着长胡子、身着新装的男子走出监狱，重获自由。这一时刻清楚地表明，哈米德·卡尔扎伊(Hamid Karzai)总统已与在此驻扎12年的美军彻底决裂。
American officials had lobbied intensely with the Afghan government, first in private and then in increasingly acrimonious terms in public, to prevent the release of men they believed were not only dangerous insurgents with American and Afghan blood on their hands, but also men who would be convicted of that in an Afghan court of law.
Instead, American soldiers on duty at Bagram could do nothing more than watch on closed-circuit television monitors as Afghan military police used Ford pickup trucks to ferry the prisoners to the nearest bazaar to catch taxis, saving them a mile-and-a-half walk. Prison authorities had given each man, in addition to clothes, warm coats and 5,000 afghanis, or about $90 — nearly half the base monthly salary of an Afghan police officer.
Many American military leaders could not help noticing a troubling parallel with Iraq, where hundreds of Sunni inmates have escaped from Iraqi prisons, often in mass jail breaks, giving new impetus to the insurgency there.
As one NATO officer in Kabul noted wryly: “Here, they don’t even have to escape. They just walk out, thanks to our own allies.”
Mr. Karzai continues to refuse to sign a long-term security agreement, which would keep American troops here past this year; the Americans want the agreement signed by December, well before the April 5 presidential election in Afghanistan. Last April the American military signed an agreement that only Afghan forces could raid homes at night, even though the military long regarded the raids as essential to its strategy.
Last March, in response to demands from Mr. Karzai, the American military also pulled Special Operations units out of parts of Wardak Province, and since then has all but stopped bombing raids to avoid risking more civilian casualties. And although Mr. Karzai has complained about coalition-caused civilian deaths, he has been relatively silent about far more numerous civilian casualties inflicted by insurgents; last month, he said nothing in public when his aides apparently concocted photographic evidence of civilians killed in an airstrike.
Against this backdrop, said a coalition official speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the political sensitivities, “This does feel like that moment when everything changes.” The official added, “We’ve survived many disputes with the Afghans. We take a few body blows, but we muddle through and the mission keeps going.”
In its statement, the American military expressed “strong concern about the potential threats these detainees pose to coalition forces and Afghan security forces and civilians.”
Mr. Karzai, at a news conference in Ankara on Thursday, responded that the American military should “stop harassing” the Afghan judiciary, according to Mr. Faizi.
The 65 men were ordered released by an Afghan review board, which determined that there was not enough evidence to try them, according to Abdul Shakor Dadras, who heads the board. Mr. Dadras said he expected that most of the remaining 23 detainees would be released as well.
下令释放这65名囚犯的是阿富汗的一个审查委员会，该委员会的负责人阿卜杜勒·沙克尔·达拉斯(Abdul Shakor Dadras)表示，委员会的结论是，并没有对他们进行审判的足够证据，达拉斯表示，他希望剩余23名囚犯中的大部分人也能获释。
In Washington, the response of Obama administration officials was more muted than that of the military in Afghanistan. “Is it really worth a showdown if the Afghans don’t want to prosecute?” one official said. “And what about the quality of the evidence? Anyone could be prosecuted. It doesn’t mean they have to be.”