原创翻译:龙腾网 http://www.ltaaa.com 翻译:TaleSia 转载请注明出处

论坛地址:http://www.ltaaa.com/bbs/thread-213662-1-1.htmlI just saw this post that reminded me that the book River Town originally inspired me to come to China. It was given to me by a friend of my cousin who had spent some time here and it really affected me.

What was your turning point?

我刚看到这篇贴子让我想起了激发我来到中国的River Town这本书,它是我侄子的一个去过中国的朋友送给我的,这本书影响了我。

Took Chinese as a foreign language while in college. Wanted to continue learning.

在大学修中文,毕业后想继续学习。

[–]ragnarussGreat Britain 10 points 4 months ago

Made a good friend on Reddit who was Chinese, became very close, decided to come to china for a visit, before coming made more and more Chinese friends. Got girlfriend. Decided fuck it, why not go live there.

在reddit上与一个中国人成为了亲密的朋友,然后决定去中国看看,且在来中国之前又结交了更多的中国朋友,且有了中国女朋友,打算日日她,为什么不去那住?

[–][deleted] 2 points 4 months ago

Teach him to fish in China, and he has some sort of poisoning or cancer pretty quick.

教他在中国钓鱼,然后他会很快的中毒或者得癌症。

Qw3rtyP0iuy 0 points 4 months ago

I Googled "marrying a Chinese girl" and found Google found 670,000 results.

MiddleKingdomLife comes to mind as well.

我google了一下“娶个中国女孩”发现有670,000 个结果,于是中央王国的生活浮现在脑海里。

When I was in 6th grade I studied the history of ancient Egypt in my social studies class. I was particularly fascinated by the hiroglyphics the Egyptions used before Arabic. They evolved from pictures to symbols repesenting words-- sound familiar?

Fast forward to junior year of college. I was working as a dishwasher at a Japanese restaurant. It was while working there that I developed an interest in Asian culture. The owner of the restaurant, an old lady from Japan, invited me to come along with her grandson and her and stay in her home in Tokyo for a couple weeks. I was captivated by Japanese culture and decided I wanted to one day live and work in Asia.

Senior year I decided I wanted to study abroad. I had considered Japan but realized that, with a major in Business Management, studying a pretty obscure language didn't seem to make much sense. I also felt that I should study in a place a bit less developed for a better cultural experience. I chose Shanghai. Granted, Shanghai turned out to be much more modern than I anticipated, but I loved it. I lived with a Chinese host family, studied at East China Normal University for a semester and returned home determined to return.

About six months after graduating I found myself without any great employment options and came to China for opportunity. That will be a year ago this April. What motivates me now is interest in the language, watching a country transform and personal and professional developement. Sometimes I wonder if it's too late for me, did I miss the boat? But I feel in my heart that I've made the right the decision. To paraphrase a quote by Steve Jobs, follow your heart and it will take you where you need to go. Thanks Steve.

TL;DR: Fascination with the language, career opportunities and watching a country tranform itself into a major global force to be reckoned with.

我6年级学习古埃及历史的时侯被比中东出现更早的象形文字所吸引了。他们从符号和图画进化而来,听起来很熟悉了吗?

然后很快到了大学3年级的时侯,我在日本餐厅洗盘子。正是那时我对东亚文化有了兴趣。店主老妪,邀请我根她和她的孙子一同到她在东京的家住了几周。我被日本文化征服了,于是我想以后某天能够在东亚工作和生活。

到了大四的时侯我决定出国留学。我开始考虑去日本,但是作为一个金融管理专业的人来说,学习一种不太广泛应用的语言不太合理。我又觉得我应该去一个相对落后的地方学习这样才能得到更好的文化体验。于是我选择了上海,不得不承认,上海最后证实是一个比我预期要现代化得多的城市,但是我喜欢它。我住在了一户中国家庭里,并在一所中国大学读了一学期,之后我回到了家乡,然后打算再次回到上海。

大概在我毕业后6个月得时间内我发现我找不到什么合适得工作于是我去了中国寻找机会。从那时到今年4月份大概过了一年,激励我在中国的理由是 对中文的兴趣,观看一个国家变革的机遇,以及自我修养和职业素养的发展。有时我在想,这一切是不是对我来说太晚了,我是不是错过了那条船?但我心里觉得我做出了正确的选择。引用乔布斯一句话,"跟着你的心走,它会把你带到你应该去的地方"。

fligsEuropean Union 6 points 4 months ago

took a gap year after high school to study chinese. China is just magical and I love that everything is a bit fucked up. Went to Uni in Asia and then back to China. Never want to leave again.

高中毕业后休学一年学习中文,中国的魔力让我热爱 以至于我其他的一切都乱成一团了。去东亚读了大学,然后回到了中国,再也不想离开中国了。

PerrierAndSaltines 6 points 4 months ago

I know a lot of people see the Confucius Institutes as a flexing of China's "soft power" and as villains, but if it weren't for the local Confucius Institute I would never have taken Chinese in high school nor would I have gone to China two years ago for (virtually) free. And I never would have become a history major and discovered how much I love studying China!

我知道很多人把孔子学院看成中国软实力的延伸并且有负面形象,但是如果没有这些孔子学院,我永远也不会学到中文,我也不会在2年前被邀请免费的去到中国。我也不会学习历史专业,更不会发现我是多么的热爱在中国学习。

ZhinenglaowaiBest Korea 5 points 4 months ago

A confucius institute is what got me into China as well, and where I met a ton of lifelong Chinese friends.

孔子学院也是把我弄进中国的地方,在那里我认识了很多可以做一辈子朋友的中国人。

MufasaSimba 6 points 4 months ago

Another shout-out for the Confucius Institute out of Arizona State. It helped funnel the resources to make Mandarin Chinese one of the most popular programs in the school of foreign languages here.

为亚利桑那州的孔子学院欢呼。是它过滤整合了资源后使中文成为了学校里最受欢迎的外语项目。

[deleted] 2 points 4 months ago

Really? I took a Mandarin class with a visiting mainland professor and 3 other students. In the 2nd semester, the other 3 dropped the class and I effectively had 1-on-1 tutoring. My college was very small, but still...

真的吗?我与其他3名学生根一个访问学者学习中文。在第二学期,其他3人全都放弃了这门课,于是我就有了根老师1对1辅导的机会,我的学校非常小,但是...

GlassAndOneHalf 6 points 4 months ago

I've been very interested in China ever since I started learning about the characters. I find them to be very intricate and beautiful. Hopefully I'll be going to China next year to study (if not, Taiwan!) - I can't wait to be able to immerse myself in the culture.

自从学习中国汉字的时侯我就对中国产生了浓厚的兴趣。我发现他们深奥且美丽。希望明年我能去中国学习,如果不行,台湾也可以。我迫不及待的想把自己融入到未来在中国的日子中去。

monkcarryshitAustralia 3 points 4 months ago

Most people I know would spend their gap year in Europe or north America, at this time China seemed like an interesting alternative so I decided to come for a mount to travel. I stayed for 4 months and thought to myself that I just loved the culture and the people that I wanted to return. I'm proud of Home but I think it is better when you want to settle down. I returned after university and have been in China since. Much longer than I though but well worth it.

我认识的大多数人都会把高中毕后的一年在北美或者欧洲度过,现在看起来中国也成为了一个有趣的选择,所以我决定去中国旅游。我在那呆了4个月,热爱那里的文化和人民并且我想再次回去。我为家乡自豪,但是我觉得早点安定下来是更好的选择,于是我大学毕业后回到了中国直到现在,呆的时间要比我预想的长,但是是值得的。

(译注:还有1/3的评论未翻。所有的评论,基本也都是这种风向的)